Life with twins is busy but I do find time to do the things that I love, which is baking. Since Dan and I are both busy, I like to make quick breakfasts so we can both grab a bite in the morning. Things like frozen breakfast sandwiches, overnight oats or muffins. I made these this morning and I thought I would share the recipe.
I’ve been wanting to cook more with quinoa so I used them in this breakfast muffin. If you haven’t tried quinoa or know what it is, it’s a South American grain that is protein packed. Here is some more info on it if you’re interested. My mom has a few recipes for it since in Bolivia, they’ve been cooking with it way before it became the newest diet fad and I need to get together with her so I can pick her brain about more quinoa recipes.
These muffins are not exactly like fluffy, cake type muffin but more of a dense kind, but it is still delicious. There is no additional sugar besides the chocolate chips so it results in a muffin with just the perfect amount of sweetness so I feel better when I eat more than one!
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1-2 tbsp natural peanut butter
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (sweetened for a slightly sweeter muffin)
- 1 1/2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
- 3 tbsp mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas and the peanut butter. You’re almost going to cream them together.
- Once that is combined, whisk in the baking powder, milk, vanilla, eggs, oatmeal and cooked quinoa. Stir in the chips once everything is mixed together.
- Spray your muffin tin with oil/Pam and pour batter into pan, about 1/4 per cup. They’ll be filled almost all the way.
- Place on middle rack for 20 minutes. Once they’re done, they may feel a little spongey so don’t worry but if you’re unsure, stick a toothpick in the middle and if it’s done, it’ll come out clean.
- Let these cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes before enjoying.
Makes 15 muffins.
102 calories per muffin with 1 tbsp peanut butter.